Dr. Elkins is a licensed professional counselor and supervisor (LPCS) specializing in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Trauma Focused-CBT, and Play Therapy (RPTS). Jennifer maintains private practices in Mauldin (Upstate office) and Florence (Pee Dee office). The Upstate office was established in 2015 after Jennifer moved with her family to the Simpsonville area. She still maintains a caseload and supervises other counselors in the Pee Dee office that she established in 2005.
With over 21 years experience in the counseling field and as a professor in Human Services and Psychology, Dr Elkins is currently serving as private practitioner working with a broad spectrum of clients. Among her areas of expertise are working with children from ages 3 and up; individuals with developmental disabilities; individuals with mood disorders; individuals with anxiety disorders; behavioral disorders in children; medical issues in adults and children (especially Multiple Scleorsis & Type 1 Diabetes); trauma; and grief.
In addition to being a prominent counselor and professor, Dr Elkins has presented at state and local conferences speaking on the topics of Play Therapy and Mental Health. Dr Elkins is an Approved Provider of Continuing Education for the Association for Play Therapy and the SC Board of Counselors. Type 1 Diabetes is another area of interest for Dr Elkins. She presented on dealing with Type 1 Diabetes in the “tween” years, as well as on dealing with parent burnout at the JDRF Type 1 Diabetes Summit in 2017.
Dr Elkins is currently a past president of the South Carolina Association for Play Therapy, but continues to serve in an active role in the organization. Dr Elkins served as the President for this state association from 2013-2017.
Dr Elkins provides support and practical feedback to help clients effectively address personal life challenges. She integrates complementary methodologies and techniques to offer a highly personalized approach tailored to each client. With compassion and understanding, she works with each individual to help them build on their strengths and attain the personal growth they are committed to accomplishing.
- Argosy University- Sarasota Campus, Doctor of Education in Counseling Psychology (2013)
- Francis Marion University, Master of Science, Clinical/ Community Psychology (1998)
- Francis Marion Univeristy, Bachelor of Science, Psychology (1995)
License & Certifications
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
- Licensed Professional Counselor Supervisor (LPCS)
- Registered Play Therapist/ Supervisor (RPTS)
- Trauma Focused CBT- Rostered Clinician through Project Best- Pee Dee Collaborative
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy- Level 1 Certification
- AutPlay Therapy Certification
- Association for Play Therapy Approved Provider of Continuing Education